Cashew nut cheese spread
There are a few versions of this around now, this is my take on it. Its a great recipe to turn into a sauce (simply add your choice of milk and spices) to have with a dish like pasta or noodles.
- 112g cashew nuts
- 40ml water
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove – minced
- 1/2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- Optional—sprinkle of yellow mustard powder
- Optional—sprinkle of sesame or pumpkin seeds
- In a bowl of jug that you can use a handblender in, soak the cashews in water the night before, or at least 4 hours.
- Drain them, rinse, then add back 40ml water.
- Add all the other ingredients and whizz up. Should make a thick creamy paste.
Lovely on crackers, as a dip, or on top of baked jacket or sweet potatoes.
5 mins + soaking time
Cashew nuts are a good source of protein and healthy fats which are thought to be beneficial to the heart, brain and gut. They also contain vitamin E (great for the skin), zinc (important for the immune system) and magnesium (needed for sleep and muscle relaxation)
Nutritional yeast is a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids that we must get from food. Great for vegans. It also contains many B vitamins, as well as zinc and selenium
Raw apple cider vinegar— Great for the gut, lowering blood sugar levels & for weight management
Garlic is well known to boost immunity & is antibacterial & antifungal. Much research has found it effective in treating cols and flu, it is anti-carcogenic, & thought to be beneficial for high blood pressure, stroke prevention, & treating diabetes.