Red wine berry pudding
Beautiful late summer / early autumn food. I used a mix of blackberries and autumn raspberries, you can use whatever you have to hand.
- Enough mixed berries to cover the base of a 20cm round tin
- 100ml red wine
- 1 star anise
- 1.5 tsp mixed spice
- 80ml oil of your choice, I used olive
- 65g good quality maple syrup + 4 tbsp
- 2 small eggs
- 150g apple puree
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 240g ground almonds
- 60g ground linseed (or mixed seeds)
- 75g chopped pecans
- 2 hours before starting, or overnight, soak in a bowl the berries, red wine, 1/2 tsp mixed spice & star anise.
- Turn oven on to 170 or 150 fan. Line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Whisk the oil & maple well by hand, or whizz up with a hand blender.
- Add the eggs and whisk / whizz again
- Add the apple puree and whisk / whizz again
- Now add all the rest of the cake ingredients, except the pecans, 2 tbsp maple, & the berries. Mix well.
- Drain the berries, reserve the wine, place them on the bottom of the cake tin, drizzle with 2 tbsp maple.
- Add the wine (discard the star anise) to the mix & stir.
- Pour into tin and bake for 30—35 minutes (check at 25 just in case). It is done when just cooked in the middle.
- Meanwhile roast the pecans in the remaining 2 tbsp maple for 10 mins at 160 fan / 180, turning halfway.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, cool in the tin. When cold invert onto a serving plate, scatter the pecans across the top, pressing them in if you like.
under an hour + soaking time
Almonds are a rich source of many nutrients such as Vitamin E, calcium, magnesium. They are also a great healthy fat to eat, as well as fibre and protein. Great for the skin, the heart, the brain, the gut.
Raspberries have a lower natural sugar content than some other berries. Plus they potentially can help boost metabolism & reduce the amount of fat absorbed by the body. High in Vitamin C. Raspberry leaf tea is widely used to stop diarrhoea, treat stomach ulcers.
Apples—Research shows apples are great for the gut & aiding digestion, reducing cholesterol due to their high pectin, helping with cancer prevention, & appetite control. Apples are cleansing & wonderful for the immune system.
Eggs provide more nutrients per calorie than any other animal food, except milk. Often described as a perfect source of protein. Rich in selenium, Vitamin A, many B vitamins, iron, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium & potassium. Buy organic ,or at least free range, if you can.